NIS files

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Thu Dec 4 03:15:00 UTC 2003

Weird... I am almost sure I had hand edited the /etc/yp.conf file when I installed the mail server we have (it's running redhat 9)...
Thx for the help...

Pedro Macedo

Message: 29
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 17:57:59 -0800
From: Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: NIS files

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

>> I'm installing the first fedora server in my work and I found something
>> odd... I edited the /etc/yp.conf and added the settings to my domain:
>> domain NIS.mydomain.com broadcast
>> Then , when I tried to start ypbind , it didn't start... It only worked
>> when I edited /etc/sysconfig/network and added the line
>> NISDOMAIN=NIS.mydomain.com .
>> Is there any reason to do this?

Yes.  The init scripts set your "domainname" if you have NISDOMAIN in
the network sysconfig file.  Otherwise, you have no "domainname"
setting, and NIS doesn't work.  There's nothing odd about it.

>> And another question: why is there the directory /etc/rc.d/init.d ? Why
>> arent all the initscripts be in /etc/init.d , just like it was in redhat ?

The structure has been as it is for a very long time.  Red Hat always
had /etc/rc.d/init.d, and later FHS required /etc/init.d and /etc/rcx.d

Red Hat symlinked those to the locations they'd been using, and that's
the way it is now.