avoid nvidia?

Allan Metts ametts2 at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 4 13:30:00 UTC 2003

At 03:53 AM 12/4/2003, you wrote:

>First is nVidia cards with the "nv" driver:
>    These  install just fine, basic Fedora...
>    No special stuff -- it works.

Just to add my experience to the collective knowledge base, I'm only
*mostly* working on my GeForce4-equipped laptop with stock Fedora (i.e.,
nothing special from nVidia):

--*-- RunLevel 3: no problems

--*-- RunLevel 5:  comes up fine, but screen is usually garbled after
coming up from power-save.  Ctrl-Alt-F1, followed by Ctrl-Alt-F7, restores
the screen.

--*-- No joy at all using an external CRT.  Anything graphical on my
external monitor gets garbled -- no matter what I do.  Toggling the
internal/external monitor key on my laptop typically garbles the laptop's
own LCD panel as well.

>Second is nVidia cards with the "nvidia" accelerated driver. The
>instructions for the accelerated drivers are a bit more involved.

I'm looking forward to trying the drivers from nVidia -- hopefully these
will resolve my troubles....

A-----