Network booting problem, PXES vs GNOME question

Boszormenyi Zoltan zboszor at freemail.hu
Thu Dec 4 13:44:18 UTC 2003

Hi,

I set up an internal dhcp server and a tftp server
so we at the company can install Fedora Core 1
from an NFS exported directory and then I also set up
a diskless boot service exactly following the on screen
instructions that redhat-config-netboot wrote.

However, the initrd image that redhat-config-netboot
installed for the diskless boot lacked one very important
file: /sbin/busybox and this caused the diskless machines
fail to boot. After copying the busybox executable into
the initrd image it started working.

Then I found PXES ( http://pxes.sourceforge.net ) and installed it.
It requires much less memory on the diskless clients...
I found that the GNOME logout dialog on the diskless clients
also offer the shutdown and reboot options, which it shouldn't.
The XDMCP clients aren't at the main machine console, after all.

--
Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi