Samba 3.0 problems with Win98 SE

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 4 16:07:04 UTC 2003

Benjamin J. Weiss  said:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I want to share my /home dir with Win98SE. But i am having password
>> problems. I am absolutely certain that i typed the correct password but
>> cannot get in. It used to work with RH7.3.
[snip]

It's a WAG, but did you create the samba users?  Are you logging into the
WIN98 machine with the same username as the samba user?

> Before Windows NT, passwords were passed across the wire "in the clear",
> or
> non-encrypted.  All M$ OS's since NT have encrypted their passwords when
> passed over the wire, or at least, something that M$ claims is encryption.

Which includes Win98.  man smb.conf:

"Note that Windows NT 4.0 SP3 and above and also Windows 98 will by
default expect encrypted passwords unless a registry entry is changed."

--
William Hooper