Please Add Nvidia install info to FAQ [WAS Re: FC1 & NVIDIAaccelerated drivers.]

Michael Smith operalover_99 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 20:08:59 UTC 2003

--- William Hooper <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Alexander Dalloz  said:
> > Am Do, den 04.12.2003 schrieb Edward Muller um
> 19:31:
> >> This comes up every day (once or twice). If there
> is a Fedora Core 1
> >> FAQ, this should be added.
> >>
> >> P.S. If there is a Fedora Core 1 FAQ I didn't
> easily see it at
> >> fedora.redhat.com

I agree, a Fedora Core FAQ is desirable (more below).

> > Yes, an official FAQ page on fedora.redhat.com
> would be a nice thing I
> > feel. Maybe just because users on this list don't
> care for the list
> > archive to search for answers but feel free to ask
> questions and report
> > problems which comes up at least twice a week. ;)
> >
> > Alexander
>
> If someone doesn't bother to even look at the
> archives and see a problem
> that comes up twice a week, what makes you think
> they will read a FAQ?

Searching the archives sometimes requires a "just
right" combination of key words to get useful results.
Just earlier today, I was searching for problems
unmounting movable media. I had to try several
combinations of "unmounting, problems, removable,
CDROM, and usbkey" before I finally got useful hits
(and learned this was a known problem, and a reported
bug).
An FAQ is usually easier to scan visually, and brings
together those often-reported problems.

> For that matter, I don't think it is a Fedora issue,
> it is a NVidia issue,
> so it belongs in their FAQ.  NVidia's closed source
> drivers don't come
> with Fedora, so why should Fedora have to support
> them?
>
> --
> William Hooper

It is an nVidia problem, but its also a Fedora problem
too. (At least to the person asking the question.) An
FAQ might simply link to the approipriate nVidia FAQ.