why sendmail and not postfix?

Brian Fahrlander Brian at Fahrlander.net
Thu Dec 4 22:30:09 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 12:17, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

> I'm baffled. You can tell Postfix to use Maildir, mbox etc... where it
> drops mail. There's no email app that's Postfix-aware... an MUA (Mail
> User Agent... like Evolution, mutt, Kmail, etc...) may have to know how
> to read Maildir's, mbox, whatever :)

    OK, maybe there's no longer anything standing in the way of file
formats and such.

> Cryptic M4? M4 is ther to make your life tenfold easier... you just try
> to configure sendmail with it's own files... check sendmail.cf instead
> of sendmail.mc to get a real load of tearful configuration.

    Yeah...like...I'm betting Exchange doesn't use M4...it's a big help-
I'd rather take a beating than learn- and relearn those rules every time
I maintain it.

> And as for load... what I've grown to know is that it's the opposite,
> surely ou must be jesting...

    I've had several people tell me that mailing systems over 10,000
accounts are much easier under sendmail, but then, they know how to
maintain it.  It's the same old sendmail versus 'X' mail argument of
old....vi versus emacs, etc.

> >     The Sendmail that comes on Redhat/Fedora is very easy to set up as
> > long as you ensure:
> (...)
>   4. Never do anything but use the M4 macros...

    Yep.  You should never have to touch the rules unless you want to do
something special, different or weird.

> ]:->
>
> Hugs, Rui
Brian Fahrländer                 Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                     http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262