why sendmail and not postfix? (SMTP_AUTH branch)

Brian Fahrlander Brian at Fahrlander.net
Thu Dec 4 23:20:35 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 16:57, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 12:09 12/4/2003, you wrote:
> >     3. Redhat/Fedora makes the important step of disabling Sendmail by
> >way of the daemon-line so you don't set it up without configuring it and
> >becoming your town's main hub of spam.  Change "127.0.0.1" to the IP
> >address it's listening on, restart it, and you're ready to go.
>
> While you're at it, make sure you enable SMTP AUTH to prevent people
> abusing your system as an open relay. See my HOWTO on this specific subject at:
>
> http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.html
>
> Another 30 seconds worth of work... no big deal and just as easy to configure.

    Ah; cool.  Yeah, I'd forgotten most people were using POP/IMAP/etc
from machines not on the local net; this is a terribly handy tool for
that.

    I've been meaning to install that (though I have very few remote
users) just because once in a while it's nice to be able to skip
SquirrelMail. (http://squirrelmail.org).  It's a nice package, but I
really feel more at-home with Evolution or whatever; webmail makes me
rash.  :)

    I appreciate the link; I've tried this a couple of times and never
seemed to work it out.  I suppose now it's steamlined.  I'll give it a
try!

    Thanks!

Brian Fahrländer                 Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                     http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262