why sendmail and not postfix? (SMTP_AUTH branch)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Fri Dec 5 01:50:11 UTC 2003

Am Fr, den 05.12.2003 schrieb Rodolfo J. Paiz um 00:57:
> At 17:20 12/4/2003, you wrote:
> >On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 16:57, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > > While you're at it, make sure you enable SMTP AUTH to prevent people
> > > abusing your system as an open relay. See my HOWTO on this specific
> > subject at:
> > >
> > > http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.html
> >
> >     I appreciate the link; I've tried this a couple of times and never
> >seemed to work it out.  I suppose now it's steamlined.  I'll give it a
> >try!
>
> I would greatly appreciate any feedback you can give. I want to make sure
> the document is 100% error-free, and I want to expand it to cover webmail,
> checking mail with POP/IMAP, and other operating systems. So any comments
> you can make are most welcome.

100%, Works great for me.

Took me 3 minutes to set up incl. building certs
Redhat default config is pretty self explaining. :-)

# make -C /usr/share/ssl/certs sendmail.pem
and comment out the corresponding 4 lines in sendmail.mc

If you also want to cover imap and spamassassin in your document, this
is what I did.

1. Install dovecot, no configuration necessary.

2. Install spammassassin
# yum install spamassassin
# cd /etc
# cp mail/spamassassin/spamassassin-spamc.rc procmailrc
# echo "allow_user_rules  1." >> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
# chkconfig spamassassin on
# service spamassassin start

5. Install and configure fetchmail
#cat ~./fetchmailrc
poll some.server.com
        proto pop3
        user "user at server.com"
        pass "pass"
        is localuser (your Username :-))
        fetchall
        ssl
poll another.server.com

You are ready to go:
fetchmail -> sendmail -> procmail -> spamassassin -> dovecot :-)

Thanks for your tips.

Christoph