Dual processor but see Quad processor

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Dec 5 01:51:37 UTC 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 17:53, Yeak Nai Siew wrote:
> Then I run "top" and I notice it shows 4 CPU. I know this server only
> have 2. None of this 4 CPU shows any status. Idle is "0%". The status
> is wrong.
>
> Then I tried RHEL AS 3, looks more stable, but the "top" also show 4
> CPU. This time it shows the figure. Idle is around 98% to 100%. But
> the status run across all the 4 CPU (the physical CPU is only 2...)
>
> Why seeing 4, not 2? Is there a way to pass kernel parameter during
> bootup to force it to use 2 only?

Heh, most people would rather see more than less (;

Seriously, you're seeing HyperThreading in action.  HyperThreading is a
technology for some Intel chips that allows for a second set of
processing gates on each CPU, giving a virtual CPU.  You'll see 2 "CPU"
per physical chip with HyperThreading CPUs.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: