Repost: Cron Error: cannot determine current runlevel

Exile In Paradise exile at weylan-yutani.com
Fri Dec 5 03:11:10 UTC 2003

Since I upgraded RH9 to FC1 I have received the following:

Cron reports:
/etc/cron.hourly/inn-cron-nntpsend:

cannot determine current run level
/etc/cron.hourly/inn-cron-rnews:

cannot determine current run level

So, I try the trussty (pin intentional):
strace who -r
<snip>
access("/var/run/utmpx", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/var/run/utmp", O_RDWR) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/var/run/utmp", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
access("/var/run/utmpx", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/var/run/utmp", O_RDWR) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/var/run/utmp", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
exit_group(0)                           = ?

Um, under FC1 which of the files are supposed to be there?
How could they go missing from an upgrade?

rpm -V initscripts
S.5....T c /etc/inittab
S.5....T c /etc/rc.d/rc.local
S.5....T c /etc/sysctl.conf

If I recreate them, can I just use touch?
What owner/group/perms/modtime to use?

Current config:
Kernel: 2.4.22-1.2129.nptlsmp SMP i686
OS: RedHat Fedora Core 1
Initscripts-7.42.2.-1

--
Exile In Paradise
If swimming is so good for your figure, how come whales look the