Problem mounting FAT32 hard drive

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Fri Dec 5 10:50:14 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 03:38, listas at lozano.eti.br wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use vfat on RHL8/9 and FC1 to mount partitions with more than 2Gb (tried 6, 8
> and 22Gb) from Win95, 98 and ME. No problems readgin and writing, but neither
> can create then (have to create/format using windoze). Scandisk has no complains.
>

> []s, Fernando Lozano
>

> > Clifford Snow wrote:

> > >Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but check your clock.  Your
> > >message is showing up with the wrong year (2002)
> > >
> > >Clifford
> > >
> > Its "vfat" rather than "fat" (to support more than 8.3 filenames) and
> > its normally limited to 2GB. The win95 vfat32 I've not tried mounting (I
> > don't have any partitions of that type) so that I have no experience of
> > so cannot say if it works or not.
> >
> > HTH
> > Chris

Assuming you want to nuke /dev/hdb1 and use FAT32 (vfat):

# mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/hdb1

One thing I will note about this. Real Windows doesn't always like
partitions made this way (at least for booting). I think it has to do
with cylinder boundaries. Keeping a win98 emergency boot disk around for
this purpose is a good idea.

--
Chris Kloiber
Red Hat, Inc.