Please Add Nvidia install info to FAQ [WAS Re: FC1 & NVIDIAaccelerated drivers.]

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Fri Dec 5 14:53:19 UTC 2003

> > Yes, an official FAQ page on fedora.redhat.com would be a nice thing I
> > feel. Maybe just because users on this list don't care for the list
> > archive to search for answers but feel free to ask questions and report
> > problems which comes up at least twice a week. ;)
> >
> > Alexander
>
> If someone doesn't bother to even look at the archives and see a problem
> that comes up twice a week, what makes you think they will read a FAQ?

It would be nice for somebody like me.  I have not installed Fedora, because
of all of the problems I am seeing on this list.  Someday I will bite the
bullet and install Fedora, and it would be *very* nice if I could go to one
place (an official FAQ) and be able to easily see all of the hoops that I am
going to have to jump through in order to make Fedora work.  My machine has
an NVIDIA card, so I'll have to mess with that.  I will want yum/apt to
work, and my God but there are a lot of posts about how that damn thing
doesn't work but 2 days in a row, and not at all after a clean install
without manually editing some conf file and adding/changing repositories or
something.  Etcetera.

> For that matter, I don't think it is a Fedora issue, it is a NVidia issue,
> so it belongs in their FAQ.  NVidia's closed source drivers don't come
> with Fedora, so why should Fedora have to support them?

I don't think that it's so much an issue os Fedora having to support them,
as it is a sharing of knowledge by other Fedora users who have figured out
how to make the most popular video chipset in the world work with the OS.

Ben