NFS v.3/4

listas at lozano.eti.br listas at lozano.eti.br
Fri Dec 5 21:38:24 UTC 2003

Hi there,

looking for ways to make NFS more secure I heard about "improvements" on NFS 3
(which just recently became fuly supported on Linux) and NFS 4 (which is not
included on any distro, but you can find rpm packages elsewhere). But I could
not find nay easy to read info about what changed from 2 to 3 and from 3 to 4,
not any hints on how they could make my network more secure. I meam, how to
prevent anyone to plug a laptop on my LAN (or format, or boot from diskete/cd)
and so access NFS shares using the ip address and uid of valid users to steal data.

Any pointers would be welcome, specially if something connect to NIS as well
(so people cannot ypcat passwd.byname or shadow.byname and get the encrypted
passwords).

[]s, Fernando Lozano