Kernel Source Location

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 6 08:40:59 UTC 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Wolfgang wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 02:51, edwarner99 at yahoo.com wrote:
> > I'm trying to locate the kernel-source to build
> > drivers for my Nvidia card.
> > I'v looked in /usr/src but can't find it under the
> > 2.4.xx directory.
> > I've done rpm -qa and the kernel rpm is installed.
> > What am I missing?

It looks as if you are missing the difference between "kernel" and
"kernel-source" (you want both).  Look for something like this:

   $  rpm -qa | grep kern
   kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl	<============
   kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.101.fedora
   glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.36
   kernel-doc-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl
   kernel-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
   kernel-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl		<=============

If kernel-source-* is missing. You need to install "kernel-source".
Out of the box I suspect you want to use "up2date"

	up2date --install kernel-source

Others would install then use "yum"

	yum install  kernel-source

The install should populate this dir for you and set up the links:
	/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl/

You may also wish to update and pickup some of the recent bug fixes.

With nVidia be sure to "export CC=gcc32" to your environment so the
compile/link/load of the nVidia driver works.  The Fedora kernel was
built gcc32 and you need the driver to match.

> > Thanks,

> Sorry to answer a question with a question, but. What error are you
> getting when you try to build the Nvidia driver??
>
> Wolf
>

> --

	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48 -a*t- yahoo-dot-com