Using Lexmark X6170 with FC1

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 6 15:47:39 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 00:37, Graeme Willox wrote:
> I have a Lexmark X6170 multi-function centre, which I currently run
> under Windows XP.  It is a scanner/printer/fax which connects to my PC
> via a USB cable.  Lexmark have advised me that they have no plans to
> develop Linux drivers for this machine and pointed me in the direction
> of the Linux Printer Driver Developer Kit.
>
> I don't want anyone to do any work for me.  I just have a query, as
> Linux is brand new to me, and the printer is the first USB device I've
> owned, other than my Palm organiser cradle.
>
> Does it sound feasible that a driver could be produced using this
> "kit"?  I don't really know how having a printer and scanner connected
> via one USB cable actually works.  It's all still magic smoke stuff to
> me.  Ideally, I'd like to have the scanner function work too, but for
> the time being, I'd settle for being able to print from Linux.
>
> Thanks.

Is it too late to take it back?

Lexmark is CRAP IMO.  I bought two of their printers, Z52 and the X83
printer/scanner/copier and their Linux support was non-existent.  I sold
both printers and bought an HP PSC 2110 scanner/printer/copier.  The
HP's are very nice and HP has full support for Linux.  I can print and
scan under Linux with HP's Open Source drivers, and it all just works.

If you can take the printer back, do it and exchange it for an HP 3-in-1
printer.  You will be glad you did.

Jim Drabb
--
James Drabb