Good Compiler [was: Re: Well......I did it!]

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Dec 7 03:29:21 UTC 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 07:25:06PM -0700, Sponger wrote:

> Hell yeah!  Sweet! Id be M$ free if it weren't for my programming classes.
>

> Speaking of which, anyone know of a good compiler and writing
> program(comparable to MS Visual Studio) for linux?  I have been looking for
> one for about six months now and cant find anything I like.

MS Visual Studio isn't a compiiler. it CONTAINS one, but it also contains
a huge amount of bloatware.

Linux comes with a good compiler for C and C++: GCC. It comes with
numerous excellent text editors (vim, emacs, etc.). At least vim and
emacs provide many services that are useful for program development.
(of course, one could rightfully point out that emacs is itself
pretty bloated [flames to /dev/null, please]

I urge you to learn the "unix way" of doing development, which most
definitely is NOT to have a huge gui app holding your hand.

> I love Fedora so far, I love this list, so many ideas and helpful people on
> here its amazing.  You know if Microsoft had a community like the open
> source community we all would be better off.....wait what am I saying, screw
> that, LINUX all the way!

Welcome to Linux!

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding