problem connecting windows client over fedora firewall - working !

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Sun Dec 7 20:50:11 UTC 2003

On Sunday 07 December 2003 21:12, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> Using samba that works just fine at 100Mb/s network speed.But, when I try
> to read my Explorer stops responding. Seems like related to my problem !!!
> This could help me further.

Investigating this issue further, I changed my network cards and suddenly
things started working !!!

I own an Asus A7V600 mainboard with onboard 1Gbit LAN. My connection to the
internet is cable and uses maximum 10Mbit. My internal network is 100Mbit as
my switch can't do any faster.

What I had connected was a 100Mbit card to my cable modem (overkill) and the
1Gbit card to my internal network. For my Linux clients this worked well and
I had no problem at all (not surfing web nor copying files). I didn't even
notice any speed problems.
As soon as I installed windows on one of my client machines I had trouble
surfing the web and as I found later also reading files from the firewall
machine (writing was OK).

After that I changed to using an 10Mbit card for my cable modem connection and
used my 100Mbit card (which I used for the cable modem) for my internal
network and things started working.

So, it seems that something is wrong with my onboard 1Gbit LAN that only gets
triggered by windows although very strange to me. I'll investigate this issue
later as from my log files there seemed nothing wrong with the network
adapters.

Anyways, I'm happy again with things working and don't mind a non-working
1Gbit onboard LAN (will sort that out later).

Thanks again for all replies,
Marcel Janssen