How to install Fedora only once ...

Arturo Duran fedoralist at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 7 22:47:16 UTC 2003

Hi,

I am trying to make a decision on what distro. to
choose for professional use (involving the usual
stuff:  PDA-sync., External Monitors, Projectors,
Presentations, Video Conference...).

I have been using RH9 (happily so) since it came out,
until I reinstalled everything to have FC1, due to an
extremely troublesome "upgrade", which produced
crashes every 30 seconds.

After that awful experience, and bearing in mind that
FC will very likely ship a new version every few
months, I wonder if I could use

# apt-get dist-upgrade

ALL THE TIME, whenever a new version comes out, much
in the same way as Debian users do when they want to
avoid reinstalling every few months.

In other words, do ONE and only one installation of
Fedora Core 1, and then rely on apt to have the
installation upgraded whenever updates / new versions
are released.

Is the portage of apt to FC1 poweful and bug-free
enough to ensure proper version upgrades?

Cheers,

Arturo Duran

=====
IT Consultant