We need a good and simple hardware database for Free Software users.

Andy Wallace linxit at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 8 01:32:55 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 20:57, Michael E. Adams wrote:
> Relative to J.B Nicholson-Owens comments. Please give it a rest. This is
> not a religious forum. People are looking for technical information. If
> the Fedora project wants this sort of stuff preached, it should be
> plastered all over the web page that others need not participate, and,
> what kind of freedom would that be?
>
> I suppose someone is going to flame me now that I have suggested this.
> Be advised that I will just ignore it, delete it and continue to use my
> Nvidia card with the Nvidia driver and my Linksys wpc54g card using the
> Linuxant driver loader program.
>
> Respectfully,
> mea

Well said! I was writing a post along the same lines, but you beat me to
it! Here it is anyway...

JBNO, your comments, while valid in a perfect hacker society, are
pointless and irrelevant here. We live in the real world, where Linux is
trying to make a difference and succeeding. Having a go at new Linux
users because they don't use purely free software will only alienate us
from the growing user base. We don't need that. We're not all bug-eyed
fanatics...are we?

The NVidia driver works, at least. Not brilliantly, but it does work.
Like most companies who have resisted Open Sourcing their drivers or
releasing the specs, they'll come round in the end, they can't afford
not to.

Regards,
Andy