postgres: import of previous dump fails

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Dec 8 18:54:10 UTC 2003

I have been backing up my postgresql system with:

pg_dumpall >> ${NEW}

I now find that it will not import into postgresql on Fedora Core
1. The new version is postgresql-7.3.4-2, the old version is
7.2.3. When I try to import the old dump as user postgres, I see the
following:

-bash-2.05b$ cat pgdump.new | psql template1
You are now connected to database template1.
DELETE 0
CREATE USER
CREATE USER
ERROR:  user id must be positive
DELETE 0
You are now connected to database template1 as user postgres.
CREATE DATABASE
You are now connected to database apache as user postgres.
\connect: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "ccurley"

-bash-2.05b$

The top of the dump looks like so:

-- pg_dumpall (7.2.3)
--
\connect template1
DELETE FROM pg_shadow WHERE usesysid <> (SELECT datdba FROM pg_database WHERE datname = 'template0');

CREATE USER "ccurley" WITH SYSID 500 CREATEDB NOCREATEUSER;
CREATE USER "apache" WITH SYSID 48 NOCREATEDB NOCREATEUSER;
CREATE USER "root" WITH SYSID 0 NOCREATEDB NOCREATEUSER;

DELETE FROM pg_group;

--
-- Database apache
--