Question about use of multiple USB Mass Storage devices

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Dec 8 19:48:00 UTC 2003

I currently have three different USB Mass Storage devices. I have a
camera, a jump drive and an MP3 player. I have three SCSI disk drives,
sda, sdb and sdc. So the next USB device to be mounted would be sdd1. My
question is this: Is there a way to "set" a particular device to a
particular mountpoint so that (as a user) I could say something like

mount /mnt/jump

and it would always end up on a particular scsi disk?

The reason I'm asking is because given the eight (or is it 27) possible
combinations (permutations) of devices being mounted in different orders,
it seems to be obviating the use of an fstab.

Am I making sense?

steveo at syslang.net