removed mp3 support in media players in fedora core 1

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Mon Dec 8 20:25:56 UTC 2003

On Friday 05 December 2003 1:02 am, Scott Burns wrote:
> Check you have a 3 or 4 core wire running from the CDROM to your sound
> card.  This is in addition to the 4 wire power and 40/80 wire IDE
> connector.

Oh my, I don't know whether to laugh or be embarrassed! You know, for years I
didn't pay much attention to this strange defect (my computer would play MP3s
from CDs but not play CD audio from them) but I remember that when it first
occurred I imagined it was a result of some software I had installed. I now
realize that I must have been jiggering with some hardware one day and
disconnected the sound card -- RIGHT! It was when I fried my old Turtle Beach
sound card and bought a new one, I never hooked up the CDROM cable to it. And
I assumed it was some sort of driver issue and never bothered to investigate!

Ug, I can't believe I never bothered to look. :-)

Thank you!