Inspion 5150 Laptop and Fedora

Kenny ky-listcatcher at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 02:07:19 UTC 2003

I don't recommend installing Linux on the first partition.  Though there
seem to be quite a few FAQs and HOWTOs floating around out there talking
about doing this, I have found it to be fairly risky.

Instead, what I would do is use partition magic to create a small
partition between the large Windows (e.g. hda1)  and large Linux
partions (e.g. hda3).  It would be called hda2 and would contain /boot.

Then boot the install CD and install the linux bootloader to the /boot
partition.

When you restart, you will go directly back to windows like you never
installed anything, since nothing's been written to the master boot
record.  The trick is this:  There's a little DOS utility that comes
with partition magic that lets you select the "active partition".  It's
extremely easy to use.  There's a version of it installed onto your
Partition Magic "recovery disks" in fact....Anyway, in windows, run this
utility and set the your hda2 ("boot") partition to active.  You will
reboot and should see GRUB.
Assuming you have partition magic available, I have found this method to
be pretty good.   I think there are open source tools to do the same
thing but I don't remember what they're called.

Good luck

Kenny