Repost: Hardware Compatibility List

Exile In Paradise exile at weylan-yutani.com
Tue Dec 9 02:43:11 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 18:47, Dan Goodes wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Exile In Paradise wrote:
> > Under that scale, ATI would probably be green (I don't know), and NVidia
> > would be YELLOW. NV is openly/freely (your definition) available, so the
> > hardware IS compatible without the licensing issue so dear to so many.
>
> IMHO, ATI would be YELLOW as well, as their newer IGP cards (well, the
> IGP320/340) doesn't yet have 3D support. On the other hand, 2D support for
> the card just plain rocks :)
> There's no "blame" to be made for the lack of 3D support there, except
> that 3d support in X cant exist without DRI support in the kernel, and
> that (AFAIK) is still very experimental.

Good one.

Maybe 2 categories, each using Red-Yellow-Green...
Category One: Features Supported/Technical status
Category Two: Licensing Status
More?

What comes to mind is the SANE scanner compatibility list... the color
coding just made it jump out at me. I am sure the large percent of color
blind population might disagree... web usuability concerns should not be
left out either.

I dunno, I just toss out ideas.
Like em? Hate em? Use em? Forget em? Its all the same to me.
--
Exile In Paradise
Ever feel like you're the head pin on life's bowling alley, and everyone's