Multi-boot sytem advice

Iain Buchanan iain at pcorp.com.au
Tue Dec 9 05:56:53 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 14:29, Russ wrote:
[snip]
> I want to run XP and Win98se on the 80 and I want to run Fedora, SuSE, and
> Mandrake on the 160. I planed on giving the Linux distros each their own
> partition except for /Home and swap. If all share the home directory, will
> they play nice? Will all user data be accessible in all distros? Let's say I
> check my mail in SuSE, will I be able to read it if I boot into FEDORA? I
> would think yes if the same program is used in each distro and the login
> names are the same (this is only a guess)?

and the major and minor versions of mail readers are the same, and the
libraries they were compiled with are the same, and the phase of the
moon is the same...

Well, its not quite that bad.  Evolution for example only compiles with
exactly Berkeley's libdb 3.1.17 just for this reason (so that
~/evolution folders are compatible across versions) but no doubt at
least one of your programs won't like sharing with another incantation
of itself from another version.

And I would be even more wary of gnome folders...  There have been some
file name/path/syntax changes between 2.2 and 2.4.
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp.nospam.com.au>

"If that makes any sense to you, you have a big problem."
		-- C. Durance, Computer Science 234