set no password in a fedora user

Tarjei Knapstad tarjeik at chemcon.no
Tue Dec 9 15:59:32 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 16:42, Felix Miata wrote:
> Rafa Quintanilla wrote:
>
> > I am using fedora and set two more users, one of them
> > my wife. I tried to leave her password blank, but
> > fedora wouldn't admit that (altho I have it so in MDK
> > 9.2, in the same hard disk). Does anyone know if that
> > is possible? How?
>
> useradd newuserloginname
> passwd -d newuserloginname
>
> man passwd calls -d diabling the password IIRC. Could be deleting it,
> but in any case I have no Mandrake or SuSE or Fedora or Corel or RedHat
> users with passwords except root. They're all me under a single roof,
> and I don't need protection from myself. :-)

The most common way of rooting a box is to first gain access to an
unprivileged user account, installing a rootkit and then gaining root
access through some unpatched exploit.

You don't need protection from yourself, and I'm guessing the OP isn't
too concerned about his wife gaining access to his account, but you _do_
need protection from the outside, and being sloppy with passwords for
unprivileged accounts is almost just as bad as leaving your root
password blank.

--
Tarjei