New to Fedora (RHL Veteran), kinda confused.

Michael Kearey mutk at iprimus.com.au
Thu Dec 11 02:34:58 UTC 2003

Mike Thrift wrote:
> So, I'm a little confused, but trying to get everything understood.  How
> stable is FC1?  I read the interview on linuxquestions.org and I thought
> Jeremy said it is as stable as RH10 would be, is this the case?  Also,
> what are the base packages based on, did they just take Shrike and throw
> it to the fedora project, or is this just a completely different distro
> utilizing latest versions of software?  I haven't had a ton of time to
> look around, and I appreciate any info anybody can provide.  TIA!!

Here is an unofficial FAQ http://fedora.artoo.net  . It will answer
many questions.

The release notes found at http://fedora.redhat.com  has package list,
and several gotcha's etc.

MY impressions:

It's as stable or better than RH 9 for me and my hardware and my usage
patterns..(I had no stability problems with RH 9, and have no problems
with FC1 at the moment..).
They took Shrike, removed some packages, added some and upgraded many.
(Release notes ..)

Why do I say MY impressions? Because others have different experience
, hardware and usage pattern so discover bugs I never see..

Cheers,
Michael