cdrom: open failed while installing software

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Dec 11 03:37:21 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 15:49, John Cox wrote:
> I just installed Fedora a couple of days ago (NEWBIE) and today when I
> tried to install KDE and a few other things Using the GNOME desktop
> software installer,
> I get "localhost kernal: cdrom: open failed"in the system log and the
> install dies.
>
> I did the original install with this drive so I'm confused....well,
> being a newbie I feel  confused anyway but can somebody help me with this?

	John:

I think a little more information is necessary.  When you installed did
you do a standard dektop or workstation, or server or custom install?
Have you been able to use the CD for anything else (i.e. music cds) are
you able to mount the cdrom?  The standard install should leave the CD
auto mounting whenever a CD is inserted and if an autorun cd is inserted
Fedora will ask if you want to run the software.  Does any of this work?
Unfortunately Fedora shipped with an error in the install new software
program, but that really doesn't sound like the problem you're having.
Please detail what steps you are taking to install KDE et al.

Scott