grub hangs on a pure SCSI system when adding a new hdd

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano.brunetti at decitaly.org
Thu Dec 11 12:06:29 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 17:58, Felix Miata wrote:
> Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
>
> > i ran into the following problem. On a pure SCSI system (2940UW PCI
> > card) i was running Fedora Core 1 with no problems, until i tried to put
> > another hdd on the system.
>
> > I configured my SCSI bios in order to boot from the proper hdd (i.e. the
> > one with grub installed), but system can't boot. I only see 'GRUB' and
> > then system hangs. The new disk is good and working on the same adapter.
>
> > My motheboard is rather old and IDE controller are bios-disabled.
>
> > Is this a grub issue?
>
> > No help, of course, from /var/log/messages.
>
> > Any idea?
>
> AFAIK, Grub will order according to the SCSI-BIOS setting for
> high-to-low or low-to-high ordering sequence. If you specify a boot
> device that isn't based upon that order, such as a boot device that has
> ID3 on a chain that contains disks on any ID above and below ID3, then
> you'll get the unusable misordered result you observed.

Ok, thanks a lot for your info. Actually it was a hardware problem, not
a grub issue. Autoid was making a little mess. ;)

I could solve it now, system boots and disk is usable. Still one
question: is there a more intelligent way to manage all this? I decided
to go for a pure scsi system to add as many disks as i need (more or
less) but if whenever i add a hdd i must reconfigure all scsi id's to
preserve the device map it gets really tricky.

Thanks again!

E.