Fedora Core 1 on an ASUS A7V600 motherboard

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Dec 11 17:08:35 UTC 2003

Mich wrote :

> Any succes making a fresh intall on a single and alone SATA drive on an
> ASUS A7V600 with VIA VT8237 on board SATA controler ??
>
> I can´t find a way to make it.

It's not possible with Fedora Core 1, as the 2.4 kernels don't recognise
the SATA controller. If someone made a driver disk with the required
modules (via_sata.o) compiled against the install kernel, it could work,
but I haven't found nor heard of such a thing.
If Fedora Core Development is in a currently installable state, you can
maybe trying to go 2.6 with it directly instead... but expect quirks and
trouble even it the best case.

The last solution, what I'll be trying this evening, is to install on a
regular IDE hard drive attached to the ATA133 controller, install a 2.6
kernel and copy the system over to the SATA disk, reinstalling grub in the
mbr and updating the initrd to include the via_sata module if needed.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl
Load : 1.29 1.35 1.29