determine the amout of video ram

Yohann Desquerre yohann.desquerre at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 11 20:56:24 UTC 2003

Le jeu 11/12/2003 à 21:06, Mark Lane a écrit :
> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 13:04, Yohann Desquerre wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I had a i845GL video chipset ....and when i was MS i saw that there is
> > 64Mo on it.
>
> Actually it shares system memory. You can set the amount in bios.

I can't give 64Mo in the bios...Limit to 8Mo

> > Under FC1(Or other linux distro), i can't have 1152x864 as under MS.
> >

> > So i wonder how many videoram the system use !!!
>
> This will have nothing to do with your videoram amount. It has to do
> with the mode lines for your video card and monitor. Do you have the
> correct monitor settings?

yes i think !!!

> > Is there a line command for that ???? or a way to see it under X????
>
> Your xfree86.0.log file should have this info. But it will be the same
> as under windows unless you adjusted the size in bios.

in the bios it give 8Mo, but under windows i saw 64mo of and 504Mo of
sytem ram (512M-8M (video cacheable bios), the 8 mo see by the linux
box)

Is ther any way to say the system to use  64 Mo, i tried to had

"VideoRam 645536" in the device section but with no success !!!!

regards