determine the amout of video ram

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Thu Dec 11 21:06:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 13:56, Yohann Desquerre wrote:
> Le jeu 11/12/2003 à 21:06, Mark Lane a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 13:04, Yohann Desquerre wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I had a i845GL video chipset ....and when i was MS i saw that there is
> > > 64Mo on it.
> >
> > Actually it shares system memory. You can set the amount in bios.
>
> I can't give 64Mo in the bios...Limit to 8Mo

Then windows is out to lunch and you only have 8MBs

> > > Under FC1(Or other linux distro), i can't have 1152x864 as under MS.
> > >

> > > So i wonder how many videoram the system use !!!
> >
> > This will have nothing to do with your videoram amount. It has to do
> > with the mode lines for your video card and monitor. Do you have the
> > correct monitor settings?
>
> yes i think !!!

I don't think so. This problem has nothing to do with the amount of
video memory. Either the video driver doesn't support that resolution or
your monitor settings are wrong.

> > > Is there a line command for that ???? or a way to see it under X????
> >
> > Your xfree86.0.log file should have this info. But it will be the same
> > as under windows unless you adjusted the size in bios.
>
> in the bios it give 8Mo, but under windows i saw 64mo of and 504Mo of
> sytem ram (512M-8M (video cacheable bios), the 8 mo see by the linux
> box)

If the bios is set to 8MB then it's 8MBs not 64.

> Is ther any way to say the system to use  64 Mo, i tried to had
>
> "VideoRam 645536" in the device section but with no success !!!!

You have only 8MB not 64.
Mark Lane, CET	mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd.	http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771 	F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--