determine the amout of video ram

Yohann Desquerre yohann.desquerre at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 11 21:50:46 UTC 2003

Le jeu 11/12/2003 à 22:23, Rick Stevens a écrit :
> Mark Lane wrote:

> >>I can't give 64Mo in the bios...Limit to 8Mo
> >

> > Then windows is out to lunch and you only have 8MBs
>
> Yup.

> >>yes i think !!!
> >>

> > I don't think so. This problem has nothing to do with the amount of
> > video memory. Either the video driver doesn't support that resolution or
> > your monitor settings are wrong.
>
> Don't forget the color depth.  If you go to 8- or 16-bit color rather
> than the 24-bit color, you cut your memory requirements by 33-66%.  You
> can then get the 1152x864 size, but not as many colors.  Here is the
> video RAM needed for an 1152x864 display:
>
> 	24-bit:	24MB
> 	16-bit:	15MB
> 	8-bit:	7.5MB
>
> If all you can give is 8MB, you're limited to an 8-bit 1152x864 display
> (256 colors).  The formula is:
>
>      video RAM needed (in MB) = (width x height x number-of-bits)/1048576

for mark (as he said before in the list I've just 8Mo) and my resolution
is 1024x768 so the calcul should be :

1024x768x16/1048576=12

therefore i run X in 1024x768 in 16bits and that's work (with just 8Mo
and not 12.... Is my calcul corrects ????

Or i have more than 8Mo ?????

Which could the better way to be sure of that ???

how to be sure of number of bits use by X ( by Command line ???

or with gnome or kde)

thanks

regards