Fedora Core 1 on an ASUS A7V600 motherboard

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Thu Dec 11 22:31:01 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 12:24, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just bought an ASUS A7V600 motherboard (VIA KT600) and wondered if
> anyone here had already some experience in getting it to work properly with
> Fedora Core 1.

Yes, but so far my uptime hasn't gone past 3 days :-(
The lowest uptime of a Linux machine I have in the past 7 years.
Hopefully it's not due to this board or fedora but due to some stupid mistake
that I made :-)

> - 3Com Gigabit Ethernet : Needs a driver download from asus.com, for a
> source based kernel module named 3c2000.o which seems to work (compiels
> fine against FC1's kernel-source, loads, chip gets detected, haven't
> actually tested the interface yet). Does anyone know if this may get
> included into the mainstream kernel or patched into the Fedora one? The
> module seems to be released under the GNU GPL :

I had very weird problems with the 3c2000 driver. I did see many warnings
while compiling and later when I started using it I had a problem with
windows clients connecting via NAT to the internet over this card. Changing
to a new card solved my problem. Perhaps a different driver would also work.

> - On board ATA133 ports : I'm unable to boot from drives connected to those
> regular IDE ports, I currently have to boot from a floppy, and can't get
> GRUB into the MBR it seems :

I boot from this just fine.

> Overall it looks like a nice motherboard. Hopefully not to "cheap"
> though...

Would seem so, but stability issues are my highest concern at the moment.

Regards,
Marcel