xcdroast is fast...grip is too slow...

Wayne Schuller k_wayne at linuxpower.org
Thu Dec 11 23:02:11 UTC 2003

hi,

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 09:32, Brian Anderson wrote:
> I have a Dell laptop running FC1 using xcdroast and grip updated from
> freshrpms.  When I use xcdroast, I can copy tracks from an audio CD at
> pretty rapid speed.  However, using grip it just crawls at a barely
> perceptable pace.  For example, xcdroast will rip a track in about 10
> seconds whereas grip will take about 5 minutes!

This is a well known "problem", and should probably be documented in grip.

What is happening is that grip uses "cdparanoia" by default.

cdparanoia on its basic settings rips a cd very slowly because it
does a lot of paranoid error checking.

Give cdparanoia the -Z option (in the grip config) or tell grip to use cdda2wav.

Then you will find grip is as fast as any other ripper.

It is not a problem with dma or ide-scsi.

I was ripping cds for years before I realised this massive speed improvement!

Of course, if you have some doubt that the cd is scratched or jittery, uses the standard cdparanoia.

thanks,
wayne