raid install problem

Justin Zygmont jzygmont at solarflow.dyndns.org
Fri Dec 12 05:02:53 UTC 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Raymond Norton wrote:

> > grub
>
> > root (hd1,0)
> > find /boot/grub/stage1
> > setup (hd1)
>
> > this should install it onto hdc1 if i'm correct.  the 1,0 is just
> > the drive/partition order.  Also make sure hdc1 is bootable, and you
> > should have an exact, interchangable mirror.
>

> I may have misunderstood how to set this up from the start (first attempt)
>
> when I do "grub" It says "probing devices for bios, etc.." then I get a grub
> prompt. (No problem here)
> root (hd1,0) gives me "Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd"
> find /boot/grub/stage1 gives me "Error15: File not found."
>
> Do I need to back the wagon up and start over? I followed a redhat 9 doc for
> setting up the software raid. Two things I was not sure about. First I made
> each drive one large raid partition, should I have done this differently?
> Second, I mounted it at /. Not sure if that was right either. Bottom line, I
> want a software, raid level 1 setup, so I could lose either drive and still
> be able to boot to the good drive.
>
> Any ideas?

yes, you were doing it right, i'm just suprised about the error15 part.
Can you confirm that the file actually exists there?  that would help to
figure out why it gives this message.  Setting / as RAID 1 like you have
there is fine, usually the grub commands just work, and you've got it.  I
know it works perfectly on RH9, I don't think fedora could be different.

Also, hardware raid is somewhat expensive, and unless you're running a type
of system where loading the CPU with handling raid through software, is
unacceptable, then i'd stick with software raid.  It often outperforms
hardware raid too:)  I setup a PC like this and it works flawlessly, and
performance is just noticeably faster than using a single drive.  I guess
the only drawback is when you have to do a hard reboot, it takes a while
to rebuild the array.  Lucky linux isn't like windows! :)