Raid-5+spare or Raid-10?

Peter Kiem zordah at zordah.net
Fri Dec 12 10:21:46 UTC 2003

Previously I've used software raid-1 for my RH7.x servers and it has
worked extremely well.

For this new server I am purchasing however I decided to get a 3ware
7506-4LP raid card and 4x80GB drives.  The server will do general things
like email, web, ftp, dns, etc.

I'm going to try to install FC1 on it to see if the hardware is
compatible but will probably end up with RHEL for production use.

With 4 drives, I can either do raid-5 with a hotspare or raid-10.  Both
will give me 160GB of space and theoretically can withstand the loss of
2 drives.

Any suggestions as to which raid array type to choose?

--
Regards,
       My current spamtrap address is est1203 at zordah.net