RPM build problem.

Kwan Lowe kwan at digitalhermit.com
Fri Dec 12 15:42:58 UTC 2003

> I'm building binary RPMS on a Fedora box and then using them on a
> Solaris box. Problem is during the RPM build phase a 'strip' ( or
> something I'm not sure yet ) is destroying the binary files.

I take it you're building using some sort of cross-compile environment... If
so, make sure that you're using the cross-build tools rather than the host
strip.

Have you tried just copying the binaries across to the Solaris machine and
seeing if they work correctly?  The problem might be occurring earlier than
the final strip.

> Don't know if this is the best place to ask but fedora users are a smart
> bunch.
>
> On my box : file appname
> appname: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
> linked (uses shared libs), stripped
>
> After the rpm build, and install my binaries are now buggered :
>
> appname: ELF 32-bit MSB executable unknown machine Version 1,
> dynamically linked, stripped

You can also try comparing the ELF headers and making sure they're sane.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan at digitalhermit.com