Fedora-1 kernel scheduler

Jeremy Sanders jss at ast.cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 12 20:23:27 UTC 2003

I've noticed that using the Fedora 1 kernel (latest update) the scheduler
is pretty bad when there are two nice 0 processes competing for CPU. For
instance, if I have a CPU-intensive job running at nice 0, then nfsd
processes run really slowly. Also logging in takes an age. It's much worse
than the kernel in RedHat 7.3. Also xmms skips pretty badly when scrolling
in acroread.

Is this due to some sort of interactivity boosting? I think the kernel is
very confused over which processes it needs to boost.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jss at ast.cam.ac.uk>   http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/
X-Ray Group, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, UK.