Training SpamAssassin

Dave Roberts ldave at droberts.com
Sat Dec 13 21:47:14 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 12:05, Neil B. Cohen wrote:
> I have installed SpamAssassin on my mail server and it works very well.
> But it is still picking up only 50-60% of the junk delivered to my
> mailbox. So recently I started saving the junk that gets through into a
> SPAM folder and then I tried running
>
> sa-learn --spam --file spambox
>
> on that folder. I had 250+ messages in the folder, but when it finishes,
> it says something like "Learned from 1 message".
>
> So I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Am I doing something wrong here? How do I get it to process all 250
> messages (or did it and it just didn't tell me?)
>
> 2) Can I expect to get SpamAssassin to get up to the point of getting
> rid of 90% or 95% of the junk that crosses the Net these days?
>
> For the record, I'm using Evolution to move messages from my input
> folder into the spam folder, and I ran sa-learn under my own account,
> not as root...

If this is just a personal workstation, you might be interested in
PopFile (popfile.sf.net). I use it both on Windows and Linux and it
works like a champ. It runs under Perl and is fairly easy to install and
get trained. You say that you installed S.A. on your mail server. If
you're serving multiple clients, that's probably a way to go, but
PopFile makes a great personal spam killing tool for workstation use.

--
Dave Roberts <ldave at droberts.com>