Hmmnn... RAID Controller not supported?

Allan Metts ametts2 at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 13 22:25:39 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Fedora on a system with an Adaptec AAA-133U2 RAID
controller (known as a member of  Adaptec's "Array 1000" family).

I first configured the array using Adaptec's software on a boot floppy.  4
drives as RAID5 and one hot spare.  But during the Fedora install process,
I'm presented with a partitoning dialog showing all five SCSI drives.

I've never installed a RAID system before, but this doesn't seem right -- I
assumed I'd be seeing one big partition representing 3 disks worth of space.

Does this mean that...

--A-- This RAID controller isn't supported under Fedora, or...

--B-- Fedora is finding a generic SCSI driver (there's mention of the
AIC-78XX), and it needs to be "tricked" into finding the correct RAID
driver.  If this is the answer, what's the trick to make this work?

--C-- Everything is fine, and I just don't know what I'm doing (if so,
please set me straight).

Thanks in advance,
Allan