Swap partition

Chris Sparks mrada at catalina-inter.net
Sun Dec 14 06:16:46 UTC 2003

Hi Gregory,

>The "easy" thing to do in this case is abandon the miminal swap you have
>and just make another (larger) swap partition to be used instead.  The
>size of a swap partition is a matter of debate, but generally it sould
>be equal to or no more than twice as large as your physical memory.

Since I originally started with 128 MB this makes sense why it suggested
256 MB.  I had to increase
the memory to 384 MB because of the boat load of seg faults I was getting.

>If you actually have space on the disk around the swap partition that
>you can resize into, there is nothing that prevents resizing the
>partition and running "mkswap" on the resized space.  There's no real
>magic about swap files/partitions.  Of course, you'll have to resize and
>mkswap in "single user mode" with swap disabled while you're
>manipulating the system.

My swap is at the end of the hard disk so I would be possible to extend
into it.  Actually I have
the boot first, / second, and the swap last.  I just didn't want to
clobber anything on the root disk
if I resized into it with the swap.  How does one know if it is safe to
go into those sectors without
worry?

Also how do I go into single user mode?

>I see your concern about having more than one swap file/partition, but
>I'd suggest thtat this isn't really something to worry about.  Swap
>space shouldn't be a consideration in normaml operation, and using more
>than 1 file/partition should not effect efficiency.

I agree, however, I am still intruding into the root partitition anyway.

Chris