up2date via CLI

Joolz joolz at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 14 18:46:39 UTC 2003

> [William Hooper schreef op 14-12-2003 11:07 -0500]

> >> Religious arguments have no place here, please keep them to
> >> yourself.
> >
> > Lighten up, pal. Don't accuse me of starting a religious war when
> > I was giving you a perfectly bona fide tip. Obviously you didn't
> > know, so I will explain: "FWIW" means "for what it's worth".
>
> This is like telling someone "have you tried Windows" when they ask
> about a Linux question.

Since when does Synaptic run on Windows?

So, not a very good comparison there. OP has a goal ("keep a Fedora
Core system up to date") and has problems with "application X" which
he uses to achieve that goal. All I did was point out that
"application Y" will do the same. No holy war intended, I was just
giving some information. That's why your remark about "religious
arguments" seemed strange to me (softly speaking).

> If the question had been "how else can I update, because I'm having
> up2date issues" your reply would have been valid.  As it is, your
> reply added nothing to the discussion of up2date taking a long time.

It depends on what OP wanted (I must admit I haven't followed the
thread from the start, so sorry if I'm mistaken)

If he's a developer that wants to improve application X, my remark was
totally off topic. In that case I apoligize.

If he's an end-user that uses application X to achieve some goal (keep
a system up to date), pointing out that application Y will do the same
thing his original goal will be accomplished.

Anyway, OP can do what he wants with my FWIW / off topic / my 2 cents
tip. This discussion we're having now is not very useful so I suggest
we leave it at this.

Cheers.

--
Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) Linux 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl 19:36-19:46