X windows and gdm on Dell/fedora

Jed smaje02 at optonline.net
Sun Dec 14 22:51:00 UTC 2003

dmcglone at san.rr.com wrote:

>Two questions.
>
>1) I'm having great problems getting a new Dell Dimension 8300 (newly isntalled
>Fedora Core) to run X windows (gnome). It has a Nvidia GEForceFx 5200 card and
>a Dell 1703 FPt flat panel monitor. When I try to run it I get a "Can't Display
>This Mode" message.  I've changed the HorizSync and VertRefresh lines in the
>XF86Config file to match those in the monitor's manual, but that didn't help.
>I've also made sure the mode line matches the monitor's capabilities.
>
>I only have the default (nv) driver for the card, but I think I'd get some kind
>of image even with that. So far no luck. Can anyone help?
>
>2) That brings up question 2:  how do I keep the system from trying to run gdm
>on startup. I'm able get out of it by pressing ctrl-alt-backspace, but I have
>to that repeatedly and it's very annoying. I've looked through the /etc/rc.d
>directory but I can't see what's trying to run gdm.
>
>thanks,
>
>Mark Mcglone
>dmcglone at san.rr.com
>

>--

I am running a Nvidia card with a Sony flatpanel connected to the DVI
interface.  I get that message when I dont tell the nv driver to use the
DVI output instead of the default VGA.

Here are the monitor and video sections from my XF86config file.

======================
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "SDM-X93"
        DisplaySize  380        300
        HorizSync    28.0 - 65.0
        VertRefresh  57.0 - 63.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
        Option  "NoLogo"        "true"
        Option  "RenderAccel"   "true"
        Option  "ConnectedMonitor"      "DFP"
EndSection

Here DFP tells the driver to use the Digtal Flat Panel.  I didnt have to
change anything with the HorizSync and VertRefresh, I'd just make sure
they are within you monitors specs.  You shouldnt have to mess with the
mode line unless you are doing some funny resolution.  I only had to do
this with my Matrox Card on my Samsung DLP to get it to run at a native
1280x720 resolition.

--
Jed