Compiling the 2.6.0-test11 kernel

Thomas Molina tmolina at cablespeed.com
Mon Dec 15 02:49:21 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Jason Huff wrote:

> I have been trying to compile the 2.6.0 test kernel for a while now and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
> It compiles and installs without any errors and the modules install into
> the /lib/modules/2.6.0-test11 directory.
> I restart my computer and when it gets to starting the usb interface it
> fails and keeps starting up, but because
> my computer uses usb keyboard and mouse interfaces I can't do anything
> except a hard reboot and start the old kernel.
> I followed directions that I found in the README file in the kernel
> source directory as well as several other
> online files, and they all tell me to do the same thing.  I tried
> reading the kernel HOWTO at tldp but they have
> taken it down for review.  Please help.

I have run into two problems in this area.  The reason your usb modules
are failing to load is because the module names have changed between 2.4
and 2.5/6.  The initscripts are trying to load the 2.4 names and failing
because they don't exist.  I also have some Dell computers which won't
work with the "Full" HID interface, and require the simple boot modules
for the keyboard and mouse to be configured and loaded.