x86-64 and FC1

Samuel Flory sflory at rackable.com
Mon Dec 15 18:57:40 UTC 2003

Pete wrote:
> On Friday 12 December 2003 04:08 pm, Samuel Flory wrote:
>
>>Gareth Bult wrote:
>>
>>>If you compile 2.6-test11 with SATA inline (it seems to be less happy as
>>>a module (!)) then
>>>this works fine on FC1. (the problem you have is getting to a point
>>>where you can compile it)
>>>
>>>Once I've finished messing around I'll see if I can produce a native
>>>boot.iso for the ASUS boards
>>>with working SATA and a 2.6 kernel ...
>>
>>   2.4.23 works just fine with the latest libata patch applied.  If
>>anyone wants it I can email, off list, a 2.4.23 that works with promise
>>sata controllers.  It should be enough to get someone up and running
>>well enough to compile a 2.4.23 /w the libata patches.
>

> That might work and I'd be pretty happy to try it. Is this built specifically
> for the 64 bit iso install?

   No it's built for my nfsroot.  It should work with a network install,
but I seem to remember that for cdrom installs you need a patch inorder
to swap cdroms.  It might work for a minimal cdrom install.

> If not, my original question still stands. What
> do I pass to the kernel for init=?

   You shouldn't need to pass "init=".  That's only needed if you want
to force something other than the normal init level.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.