invalid compressed format

Kent C. Kollasch kent at vistasource.com
Tue Dec 16 17:38:27 UTC 2003

I just purchased a Dell Otiplex GX270T (3.20GHz, P4, 800 FSB, 1 Gb Ram, DVD+RW drive).  I tried to install Redhat 9.0, but the installer was unable to identify my hard drives.  I have two 120GB SATA, 7200 RPM Hard Drives with Data Burst Cache.  The installer asked if I wanted to add a driver, but I didn't see anything that would work.  So after doing some research, I found out that the kernel in Redhat 9.0 didn't support SATA drives, I needed kernel version 2.4.22 or higher to support SATA.  After digging around some more, I find out that Fedora supports SATA drives.  I downloaded the iso's, checked the md5 sums, burned the CD's, and finally thought I'd jumped the last hurtle.  It booted, asked which install to use, I hit enter for the graphical install, started loading and then I got th following:

Uncompressing Linux...

invalid compressed format (err=2)

--System halted

I then tried text install, but with the same result.  Does anybody have any idea what's going on?