¿Do ext2 partitions need defragmentation?

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 16 19:55:11 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 14:02, Fernando Alvarez wrote:
> Hi!
> Sorry if my question seems trivial for some of you, but I don't have
> much experience with Linux or Unix.
> As anybody knows, regular defragmentation is recommended on Windows
> partitions (FAT and NTFS).

Normally you don't have to manually defrag a linux system.
Disk checking is normally done at bootup. However, if you *do*
shutdown abnormally (e.g. a power-failure). At the next
reboot of your system, you would need to provide the root
password, then do:
fsck /dev/hda1 (if /linux is on your 1st partition, otherwise
change the "1" in the example to the partition number).

Since you mention you are new to linux, I would like to
recommend you bookmark these sites:
1) JustLinux http://www.justlinux.com/
(The site was formerly known as linuxnewbie.com, and
was justly named, since the library contains 'newbieized"
instructions and help files).

2) Die Docs http://www.die.net/doc/
At first sight you might find this latter site overwhelming,
but don't be put off. You're not obliged to read, nor
*remember* everything. Use it as your "reference library".
In time, you will remember some things, and get the hang of
it.

Life is a classroom, and you don't get to leave till you
learn all (or most of the) lessons! LOL!

HTH & cheers,

Elton ;-)
"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.Public