lg/goldstar-not affected on Fedora, but perhaps....

Aurelio Sánchez fae7901 at terra.es
Wed Dec 17 01:37:44 UTC 2003

El sáb, 13-12-2003 a las 23:17, William Hooper escribió:
> trufflesdad  said:
> > It has ben reported on this list that installing Fedora will break
> > lg/goldstar cdr,s as it does in Mandrake...Would it be possible to
> > install RedHat 9 and then upgrade it via the net as I wish to install it
> > on my other box which has goldstar cdr and cdrw..
>
> Since:
> a) Fedora doesn't include the patches that cause Mandrake to break the drives
> b) I only recall seeing one person mention it
> c) There is a fix to update the firmware
>
> I say just try the CD install.

And I add:

My LG Combo ('HL-DT-ST' 'RW/DVD GCC-4480B' as reported by cdrecord) was
purchased with firmware 1.00, which is sensible to Mandrake issue. But
when I put this drive on my Red Hat 8 box I didn't knew that. Then I
upgraded to FC1, and nothing strange occurs.

I've got some strange behaviors on SCSI bus/emulated IDE-SCSI. On
Windows Millenium I can burn up to 48x from images on harddisk, but on
Linux it resembles that maximum safe velocity is 8/16x. At 16x
'burnfree' saves the disk, but the real speed downs to 2/4x. At 8x the
burn is stable and reliable, even at real DAO (cdrdao/MPEG streams). But
24x is unreachable!, and I've got scsi resets and another strange
messages from cdrecord/cdrdao.

Harddisk is DMA enabled and the VIA IDE drivers are correctly recognized
and loaded from kernel. I've got ATA100 surely, not a slow harddisk
issue then!

Sorting to fix that, I've upgraded firmware to 1.02. Nothing changes.
The drive is master on 2nd ide channel, and another LG CDROM ('HL-DT-ST'
'CD-ROM GCR-8521B') is slaved on same channel. It doesn't matter if I
put ide-scsi emulation only for combo drive or both (as K3B suggests).

I can copy CDROM from one to another using cdrdao or K3B. All seems work
fine except the real maximum and reliable speed, that is 8/16x. I drive
safe below speed limits (:-) and I'll do burning, but I ask
myself...why?

The DVD portion of drive seems to be some sort of misaligned to some
commercial DVD's, that I can read on my laptop (DVD equipped too) but
not entirely on this drive, on Linux or Windows (this is surely buggy
hardware joined to cheaper hardware.....:-)
--
Saludos,

Aurelio Sánchez
fae7901 circling terra Spain
fae7901 circling yahoo Spain

Registered Linux User # 272846
GNU Privacy Guard Public Key available at pgp.rediris.es

Created by Ximian Evolution 1.4.5 running on Fedora Core 1