redhat-config-xfree86 enhancement?

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Wed Dec 17 01:39:44 UTC 2003

William Hooper wrote:
> John McBride  said:
>

>>It's just one of those annoying things that Microsoft handles better, I
>>guess. At least MS gives you something, a low res gui and a means to get
>>to the configurator, without having to resort to the command line.
>

> Nope, sorry.  I know from experience that Microsoft will do the same
> thing, generally under the same situation.  Try setting an LCD panel
> (connected to a KVM that doesn't pass the info) to a resolution higher
> than it supports.

The same guy who built this fedora box builds about 10 windows boxes the
same way every week.

He builds up the system using a display on his desk, then unplugs the
box and carries it to the destination cube and plugs in a flat panel
display. Same model displays on each end, different OS.

He gets a gui from MS windows, and can reconfigure to the new display.